Phew! It's been quite a while since I've done one of these, which is a shame since I actually have several drafts backed up. Anyway, onto the brag.
Defeating Mediocrity is a project being run through a blog. One of my long-time friends, Adam, is setting out to achieve twenty one goals to be completed by 11:59 pm, December 31, 2011. Not talking cheesy new years' resolutions, either. Here are the goals:
1. Record a five song EP
2. Get my motorcycle license
3. Donate blood
4. Busk for a day
5. Take a solo road trip
6. Cook dinner for me and five friends
7. See a game of sport, a concert, a comedy show, a musical and a theatre production
8. Paint a self-portrait
9. Learn a song on piano (or any instrument that's not guitar)
10. Read 12 important books
11. Create a 10-minute arthouse film
12. Do a 365 Photo Challenge
13. Ride the Indian Pacific
14. Do City 2 Surf and the Perth Freeway Bike Hike
15. Spend a month following a type of meditation
16. Write a NaNoWriMo novel
17. Get a tailor-made suit
18. Get kissed on a beach at night
19. *Hidden goal*
20. Begin learning Sign Language
21. Spend New Year's Eve at Times Square, New York
He's running a vlog (weekly, I think) to keep followers/curious bystanders apprised of his progress. Like me, Adam is an avid writer and not-yet-reformed drama student, so the blog itself is very conversational and the vlogs should be quite entertaining once he settles into the rigmarole of talking to a camera.
I have volunteered to help him busk - he's going to play guitar and I'm going to sing. Easy to type, but what an undertaking! I'm going to be practising a LOT in the upcoming months (in and out of the shower, hehe).
I'm thinking I might jump on the wagon for a couple other of his goals - I want to do another NaNo novel, I'd love to learn Sign, and a couple of his books are ones I want to read as well.